The Montessori Method for Dementia and Ageing is an innovative approach to dementia care that can be adopted for individuals, for groups and as a philosophy of care.
The goal of Montessori is to create persons who are as independent as possible, able to make choices and who are treated with respect and dignity. Montessori enhances quality of life.
To CREATE meaningful activities and roles we need to:
- Find the person behind the dementia
- Match strengths with personal history
- Foster social connections and friendships
- Repeat activities to develop routine, build confidence and self esteem
- Create meaningful roles and activities
- Consider needs of the person
- Provide cues, prompts, manipulatives and templates to support the person’s memory loss